Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday, March 11

After the grueling bus ride, heat and activity yesterday it was heavenly to get to sleep in a bit this morning and relax.  I had a nice, leisurely breakfast with colleagues and got caught up on emails, uploading pictures and working on class assignments for this program.  At noon a group of us went to the market at Osa to do a bit of souvenir shopping and a light lunch.  It was another hot, humid day so I sweated through my clothing in about 10 minutes.  I would hope that if I lived here for a time, my body would get used to this heat and I wouldn't sweat so profusely.  The Ghanaians certainly appear cool and dry most of the time -while I look (and feel) like a wet washrag!

This evening Jonathan met us at the hotel to take us to Osman's home for dinner.  Osman's wife, Amina, had prepared a traditional Northern Ghana meal for us.  Osman proudly introduced us to his extended family, most of whom live in the same "compound" in the Muslim area of Accra.  The compound was down a little side street.  To get to his home we went down a small alleyway into a courtyard strung with colorful rows of drying laundry.  Several children were playing happily and looked up curiously as the 3 Obroni (white people) entered.  Osman then introduced us to his wife and toured us around a small part of the neighborhood including the communal bathhouse.  We then returned to Osman's house (which consists of 2 small rooms) to eat the meal prepared by Amina.  Dinner consisted of a large helping of cassava (sort of like a doughy mashed potato), soup, fish, and chicken - all eaten with our hands.  We ate it all by dim flashlight since the electricity in the municipal region was not working.  Honestly, I have never felt so honored and welcomed into a community in my life.  These people live so very simply, but they're so happy!  Osman was clearly so proud of his home and family and situation and wanted to share it all with us.   I continue to be amazed and delighted by the generosity and humanity of these beautiful people.  We have so much to learn from them and with them

No comments:

Post a Comment