Saturday, February 25, 2012

One week and counting....

It's hard to believe that a week from tonight, I'll be arriving in Accra, Ghana with my 11 colleagues.  This has been such a long, arduous journey (a year since applying and 6 months since getting the acceptance letter) and part of me didn't really believe it would ever happen.  For the most part, my bag is packed.  I have my malaria medicine, diarrhea medicine, constipation medicine, snuffy nose medicine, muscle cramp medicine, band-aids, and vitamins packed.  Since the weather in Accra is summerlike, I don't need any of the clothes I've packed.  In fact, we're supposed to have the coldest, snowiest week of winter in the next 6 days - go figure.   On Friday I finalized my lesson plans for the substitute teacher to use while I'm gone.  I must say that I'm rather proud of the plans I laid out.  In fact, it sounds like such fun that I'll rather miss the activities.  Teaching physics is really not so bad.  The labs are very easy to set up and carry out.  The material is easily comprehended.  The curriculum and textbook are very user-friendly and inviting.  When I get back from Africa, we'll only have a week left of the quarter, so I think I'll plan for that week before leaving as well so I'll be all set with no stress upon returning.

Just today I heard from my partner teacher in Ghana. His name is Osmanbin Umar. I assume he teaches science, but don't know for sure.   I asked my students, if interested, to create PowerPoints about their lives.  So far, one student has given me a very nice presentation to share that highlights her life, her home, her interests and her activities.

On my "to-do" list for the next week: bank for spending money, phone store to change my plan so I can call home without spending a fortune, Walgreens for assorted stuff and some gifts for host teacher and students.  Am I missing anything?

1 comment:

  1. Have a great time Melinda! My students and I will be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete